Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day Three Complete!

Whew! Today was our shortest trip so far, but our most stressful. I drove first in the morning, making good time, then Todd took over around 10:30 and I passed out in the passenger seat.

Todd woke me up with saying something along the lines of "We're getting lunch and it's snowing." I looked out the windshield and saw a gas station framed in white. snow had accumulated a few inches on some nearby cars. We knew Bloomington was likely to get some snow, but we didn't expect to see it outside Of Kansas City.

When we got back on the highway, the roads were fine but visibility was a serious concern. We couldn't see more than a couple hundred feet in front of us and the snow continued to fall. After a while, the roads got bad too and things were pretty scary; icy sludge was accumulating between the lanes and areas of the road were clearly slick. It was the most stressful part of the trip.

The snow let up about half an hour After St. Louis, and while there was snowy precipitation the rest of the trip, we were able to travel fast and get to Bloomington around 9:30, only an hour and a half after our first calculations.

The day ended wonderfully though. I'm now typing away at Eric and Kristin's house with my belly full of great pasta and some amazing homemade ice cream and warm brownies. I always forget how great it is to visit Eric and Kristin and it breaks my heart we have to leave so early in the morning to catch my flight tomorrow night from Charlotte back to Baltimore.

Most surprisingly, Todd and I are still talking. There have been some tense moments, but overall it's been really wonderful, better than I anticipated. It's been a wonderful adventure, and while I may get teary-eyed leaving tomorrow, my backside will be delighted to get out of that stupid Honda Civic.

-scott-

No comments:

Post a Comment