Monday, March 14, 2011

A Long Road to Independence

This blog is to record a road trip I'm taking with my brother, Todd, in two weeks across the United States from somewhere around Redmond, Washington to Hickory, North Carolina. Google maps says that there will be 46 hours of driving and we're going to try to do it in 4 days. I hope that Todd and I can take turns to post on this blog as we take our trip. It will begin with sweet sentimentality and big hugs, but I predict by 2:30pm on the 2nd day in the car we'll have some real Lord of the Flies action going down. What mental and physical state we arrive in Hickory in will be something to behold. I hope we can capture some of the craziness that goes on in the car, hotels, rest stops, and on the side of the road in the blog to entertain ourselves and some people out there. Hopefully we'll both be able to look back on this and laugh, presuming we don't kill each other before we get to North Carolina.

The reason we're taking this trip is that Todd quit his job as a game designer at 5th Cell and is going to work with Derek Detweiler at Gopherwood Studios, where he will be CFO, game designer, programmer, artist, vice-president of customer service, receptionist, and third-string dog washer. He is, as those in the game industry say, "going indie".

"Going indie" for most game developers is similar becoming a monk. It is a calling followed by those devoutly dedicated to making games because they love them. There is no need for independent game developers to take the vows of poverty and chastity - those are implied. Independent developers tend to have the opposite of the vow of silence; they yap all-to-much about what they think and what they're doing, trying to shout above all the others straining for attention and money. This is not my brother's nature, but he may have to change to keep the faith.

What does "indie" mean anyway? "Indie" is shorthand for independent developer, beyond that it is tough to find a widely agreed upon definition. In my broadest attempt, it is an individual or team involved in developing games that is not owned or subsidized by a major game publisher (like Activision, EA, or Ubisoft) nor a platform provider (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, or Apple).  Are Valve and Zynga indie? Not to me, but they could be seen as one to some. I feel it's mostly about young people going on their own to make games they are excited about. Some of the most interesting, and successful games in the last few years have been made by "indie" groups, including Angry Birds, Minecraft, and Dwarf Fortress.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the trip. I am tremendously proud that Todd is taking this huge step and following his dreams. He's compared it to jumping off a bridge, and I understand why. There is no guarantee of success, but my brother took the leap anyway because it's what he had to do. I feel honored that I can usher him across the country to his new life.

Well, I feel that now. We'll see what happens at 2:30 on the second day.

-Scott-

No comments:

Post a Comment